Tuesday, May 17, 2005

tv download sites hit by lawsuits

As you can see from this article, a number of TV download sites have been shut down by the MPAA.

BBC NEWS | Technology | TV download sites hit by lawsuits

But I debate the validity of the MPAA's claims for all sites to be shut down.

Surely if a TV programme is broadcast it becomes part of the public domain? If it is not illegal to record TV shows onto DVD or video then why should it be illegal to record TV shows digitally?

Was I commiting copyright fraud by taping WWF programmes from Sky and sharing it with my school mates?

I can understand the furore over the pre-release of Doctor Who, as this was handling stolen goods. Yet a broadcasted show becomes public domain, and provided suitable references as to the source are given, distribution should not be illegal

Tim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Was I commiting copyright fraud by taping WWF programmes from Sky and sharing it with my school mates?" - possibly not but you were showing a serious case of bad viewing habits.

Anonymous said...

i believe that is illegal theoretically... but what do i know?!

Timmy Magic said...

Did I say that I watched it? I only said that I taped it!

But yes, I did watch it and have now realized the error of my ways :-p