Thursday, February 12, 2009

true atheism - or is it?

I was listening to a podcast featuring Stephen Fry at a Q&A session at the Apple Store the other day and he was asked a question that set me thinking.

"Do you have to be careful what you say about religion?" - to which the answer was yes and no.

You have to be careful of what you say because the more militant extremes of religion judge you harshly and will tell it as they see it. Bear in mind, of course, that Fry is not only an atheist but also a homosexual.

You don't have to be careful, in that his understanding seems to be that he is happy with other people's religion if they are happy with his non-religion. This, I think, sums up my feelings on the subject. If you can put up with the fact that I don't smoke/drink/do drugs, I can put up with the fact that you do! I like to think I'm a non-judgy Christian.

Fry also mentioned the slightly over-the-top attitude of possibly the world's most famous atheist, Richard Dawkins. This reminded me of his well reported support of the Atheist Bus Campaign. Then I had another thought - look at the wording of the advertisement.

"Probably" no God? Probably? That doesn't sound like atheism to me! It sounds like Dawkins doesn't know (yet).

Dawkins stated that he preferred the wording "There is almost certainly no God" for the advert, but again the point stands - "almost certainly". Almost? What does that mean?

I'm almost finished = I haven't started yet
I'm almost dressed = I'll be another 20 minutes
I almost forgot you birthday = I forgot and was reminded by something/one

If you are going to make outlandish statements about faith, at least do it with some conviction. I could open up a big can of worms about creationism, evolution, the Big Bang Theory and other such science/religion debates, but won't.

All I can say is that I know there possibly is a God and I'm fairly sure I love Jesus.

Timmy "Convicted Christian" Magic

2 comments:

chika said...

You write good stuff, interesting! Some blogs are just so self-obsessed, me me me me, tiring to read, but yours is thumbs up!

I kind of agree with your view point!
Then you'd say "kind of?! yes or no then?!"

Eh, Tim, life is so uncertain.
Do u remember me btw? x

Timmy Magic said...

I try my best!
And kind of agree..?

And you were the year above me at UCL Scandinavian! So yes...