Thursday, January 31, 2008

engaging with people

Yesterday I had the joy of attending a course run by an external contractor on communicating with people. It was a full day's course, which is something that Met officers are not familiar with. I will be honest and say that I wasn't looking forward to partaking in the day. I feared that it would be a bunch of corporate experts teaching us to suck eggs.

I was right.

The day was filled with exercises in getting to know each other, perceptions of people and how to talk to people. I learned some new things like how to understand people's tells and I relearned some old things.

Whilst I understand that knowing how to deal with people is the most important tool in my job, being told how to do it by people who have never been sworn at, who have never had abuse or items thrown at them and who never have left the office wearing bulletproof armour seem rather condescending.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the course, but I am sure glad it's out of the way!

As a non sequitur, my housemate Jon no longer has a lovely girlfriend Natalie but now has a lovely fiancee Natalie!

Timmy "Comms Expert" Magic

No comments: