Monday, October 08, 2007

reasons i love my job

On the left hand side, two new links have magically appeared - first up is Mark Aspin, former school chum of mine, F1 fan and all round nice chap

Next is Katie Allen - friend of a friend, London North East buddy and purveyor of education to the small.

Her current latest post is about the reasons she loves teaching, and recounts some of the things she has heard in the past week. I have reasons I love my job too.

The cycling is great fun
The colleagues are great
The opportunities to learn new stuff are excellent

Then, of course, there are the conversations, such as this one today

Tim leaves junction of minor road into major road on the way to an emergency call. He makes a close call regarding the taxi approaching him. He thinks he has enough room, the taxi driver doesn't

Taxi Driver: "You are a f***ing idiot, aren't you?"
Tim: "Pardon?"
Taxi Driver: "I said, you are a f***ing idiot, aren't you?"
Tim: "I am going to an emergency call, I am doing my job!"
Taxi Driver: "Yeah but you are still a f***ing idiot"
Tim: "Thanks! Have a nice day!"

Tim approaches Subway. He slows down and crosses the other lane of traffic. He mounts the pavement. He goes in to Subway, then exits a short time later. Tim is outside Subway with the sandwich he has just bought. A man on the pavement waves at him. Tim approaches him.

Man on Pavement: "Officer, can I take your number?"
Tim: "Of course, why?"
Man on Pavement: "I am going to make a complaint"
Tim: "OK"
Man on Pavement: "You were cycling on the pavement. I was nearly hit by a cyclist the other day"
Tim: "OK"
Man on Pavement: "You signalled and then pulled over and then went on the pavement"
Tim: "Yes"
Man on Pavement: "I am going to complain, where are you based"
Tim: "Paddington Green"
Man on Pavement: "I am going to go and complain right now"
Tim: "OK! Have a nice day!"

I meet such nice people on a daily basis - and no-one had done anything wrong! Apart from me, cycling on the pavement, of course.

Timmy "Flipping Pavement Cycling Idiot?" Magic

2 comments:

Charlie Chikankata said...

Hey!

Just to let you know the British are in good company. Heidie got fined 50 quid once for cycling on the pavement in Copenhagen!

Hope you are well.

RB

Katie said...

I love that job title! When people ask me what I do for a living I'm going to say that.

Your job sounds a lot more exciting than mine though!