Tuesday, October 16, 2007

blog action day - 4 mins late

I missed it by a few minutes but the post is still here!

I like cycling. This can be seen by

a) the fact I own a bike
b) the fact that I blog frequently about cycling
c) the fact that I am a police cyclist

A few weeks ago, there was a tube strike. During it, did you notice anything extraordinary in the press? It wasn't the fact that people were "working from home" nor the fact that the bus queues were far longer than they normally are. It was the fact that there were loads of cyclists on the roads. People dusted down their Raleigh racers and their muddy mountain bikes for a few days.

So why didn't this burst of environmental friendliness stick?

Did people get too hot and sweaty on their way to work? Were the roads too chock full of bikers? Was it just not easy enough?

TfL have recently launched a campaign to promote safe cycle usage in London - maps are more freely available, the journey planner can now do bike specific routes and we are encouraged to not jump red lights or cycle on the pavement.

So I, Timmy Magic, encourage you to cycle somewhere this week.

It's good for you, its great for the environment and you never know, you might enjoy it!

Timmy "CycloCop and CycloBloke" Magic

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think the reason I don't go cycling is because I never took the Cycling Proficiency Test in Year 6. For years I thought it was like a driving test and I couldn't go on the roads without it.

I'm not really sure what my excuse is now. I might have a go...

Mitchenstein said...

Embarrassing fact: I actually failed my cycling proficiency.

But I passed it the next time (apparently, I'm just a little too European for the examiners. Cycling on the right was somewhat frowned upon).

Now, is cycling really great for the environment, or is it just not bad for it?

Now there's a thinker.