Thursday, March 22, 2007

skiing in les mosses

I have just been skiing in Switzerland. It was fun. Thought there were some slight issues to overcome over the course of the week.

1) The fact that we had 5 coaches to get us to Switzerland and back

Coach 1 - Gerrard's Cross to Maidstone Services - broken (overheated engine)
Coach 2 - Maidstone to Les Mosses - broken (clutch)
Coach 3 - Leysin to Les Mosses - not broken (just borrowed)
Coach 4 - Les Mosses to La Barre- not broken (came to tow away coach 2 after its final expiry)
Coach 5 - La Barre to Gerrard's Cross - not broken (Swiss coach)

Coach 2 was actually repaired 3 times while in Switzerland.

2) The fact that the leader of the tour didn't speak French

I do. Hence I was one of the officially sanctioned interpreters for the week. Such delights included

"Nous sommes perdu notre billet de peage"
"Notre autobus ne marche pas"
"Notre autobus ne fonctionne pas"
"Notre autobus est mort. Encore"

3) I skied without suncream and a jumper and jacket on the first day

Thus I was quite burnt and now have delightfully panda-esque eyes.

4) I fell over lots

On the first day I fell over and have a sizable scab even now. My discomfort was not helped by my instructor informing me that there was only one thing for my bleeding arm. Snow. Snow which he felt the need to press onto my arm.

5) Brief stop at Maidstone (2 hours) meant we missed the ferry

No ferry means no bureau de change. No bureau de change means that I had 3 days of surviving on €50 and £140 in Switzerland.

6) Being British meant we couldn't waste food

Hence we had sausage and beans sandwiches one day and pork curry sandwiches another.

Having said all that, I had an amazing time and I am already looking forward to going again soon.

Now for some pictures

PIC00313

The view from our room on the first day

PIC00322

The air ambulance picking someone up

PIC00342

My panda eyes

Timmy "Got the ski bug" Magic

No comments: