Wednesday, November 29, 2006

i am a real goer

I have just returned from my fifth cinema visit this week. My previous post outlines the first three trips but I went twice today. I saw the Korean movie The Host or Goemul which is vaguely based on something that happened with some formaldehyde that was improperly disposed of. It is a reasonable film, and I sense it could be a continuation of the breakthrough into Hollywood of Korean films. We have already seen the impact Chinese and Japanese film has had on the world cinema scene, with Park Chan-Wook's Oldboy leading the way from the Korean market.

This evening's viewing was "Stranger Than Fiction", the latest offering from Marc Forster and starring Will Ferrell. The storyline is a little darker than one would expect from a Hollywood film but is nonetheless funny in places. Maggie Gyllenhaal puts in a really good performance as Ferrell's love interest and Emma Thompson carries on the "weird woman" vibe that has been a feature of her past few films (Nanny McPhee, Harry Potter, Love Actually).

Having seen most of the latest releases over the past few days, I will probably take a break from the cinema for a few days, though I am off to the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow so maybe I will post on that!

Timmy "Korean and Komedy" Magic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The host is crap. I went to saw it (due to what we were going to see being sold out) with Han, Jen & Karen. It had a few comedy moments like the grieving scene where all the deceased's picture's where on the wall. We couldn't stop laughing at that point. It's probably the worst bit of acting I've ever scene.

Ok the animatronics we're very good but that was the only good thing about the whole film.