Sunday, December 24, 2006

magic's new name

I have decided that I will give myself a new name for Christmas - inspired by my current surroundings. Most names have alternatives in different languages, but Irish (Gaeilige) is somewhat different. When the British insisted on anglicizing every name in Ireland (read Brian Friel's play "Translations" for an account of the time), they came up with alternatives. The rough equivalent of Timothy in the Irish language is Tadhg. This name is pronounced like "tiger" without the "r" and not like "Craig" as is the misconception and it means "poet".

Of course it would be remiss of me not to translate "Magic" too. The word "draíocht" is the word for "magic", but it also means, ironically, "glamour" and "romance"

Timmy "Tadhg
Draíocht" Magic

No comments: