Thursday, August 11, 2005

maynard ferguson - living legend



Last Wednesday night/Thursday morning, I was able to do something I had been looking forward to for months. I went to Ronnie Scott's to see the legendary Maynard Ferguson.

In my humble opinion, words cannot sum up what an experience it was! (Not sure why I am bloggin about it then!) To experince the man and his work is the only way to get the true representation of his skills.

Before the warm up act, we were enjoying drinks when there was a kick to my chair, and on the end of the foot kicking the chair was the man himself, Maynard! Exciting, eh?

After drinks and the warm up act, The Christian Brewer Quartet, Maynard and his Big Bop Nouveau came on stage to rapturous applause and cheering, and started with the same tune he has been using since the 60's (or so I've heard!)

He obviously hit lots of screamy notes but the highlight of the set was the baritone sax player/flautist/scat singer Denis DiBlasio, who has been with the band since the early days, and write arrangements for the band. He can do things to a flute you would never think possible.

Having heard the MF Hit Medley live I can die happy!

Ask me for a listen next time you see me with my iPod!

Timmy "I could play notes like that but I don't want to" Magic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And where have you gone then?!