Saturday, December 04, 2004

the broadband revolution

Times are a-changing in the wonderful world of internet technology. It is now easier than you think to access the world wide web.

In research by a Europe-wide company, it was found that 20 million more people have broadband internet access than last year. The UK alone has seen a 100% increase in broadband usage, second only to the 124% rise in Italy.

Following the installation of my wireless network, I purchased a new laptop and a few network cards. As I write I am sat away from my desk, watching TV. I can do important college "research", check my emails, and even give my blog fans their fix of Magic.

As Regina Lynn quoted in her Wired News column, the internet is invadin even the most intimate parts of our lives. She polled visitors to her website, and found that people would rather have online relationships than intimate time alone

"... I recently polled the Sex Drive forum to find out what people would choose if they were to spend a romantic evening alone with a technology. Obviously, this was an entirely self-selected, nonscientific survey, but the results reflected my expectations, so therefore they must be valid for the population at large. (Heh.)

People gravitated toward the relationship technologies, not the sex machines. Webcams won the contest, with mIRC and instant messaging a close second. None of these are directly personal. They merely connect us with one another, human to human. "

So with the internet at home, work, school, college and even your local Starbucks, it hardly seems possible to escape the so called "broadband revolution"

Happy surfing!

Tim

No comments: